Tuesday, June 10, 2003

I just had an epiphany today. You know MTV Alert? Well, they were featuring the Asian Dub Foundation there. I like Asian Dub Foundation. They were interviewing Pandit G and he said they were the best live band in the UK. He said it’s because most UK bands are boring. So boring, he said. “We call them ‘shoegazers’ because they just play and look at their shoes.” I was laughing so hard. Even if he was dissing shoegaze, I was screaming to my sister, “That’s US! He’s talking about US! Hahahaha!”

You know what? I don’t really mind him saying that. So shoegaze doesn’t float his boat. That’s understandable. I still like ADF and I respect their opinions because they’re fantastic musicians. In fact, by saying that, he unwittingly did a service to us by educating kids overdosing on MTV about shoegaze. Sure… their first impressions on shoegaze will be “boring” because Pandit G says so, but at least now, they have a name for it. Most people who watch candyaudioline and don’t like us because we’re so blah on stage only think, “I don’t like them because they’re so boring.” But now, since they have a term for it, they’ll know we’re boring because we’re adhering to a certain type of music—i.e., shoegaze! And maybe some of the kids who like ADF and watched that MTV Alert thing will be curious about shoegaze, start listening to samples of it, and will maybe even start to like us! Galing.

Isn’t it great how everything in the music scene is actually interconnected? You can’t diss someone without calling attention to them. I remember indie AJ was laughing at some ska that was playing on the Freedom Bar speakers… I listened and thought some of it actually sounded fun. I’m sure some people who’ve read the article on us have brought out their old Sandwich albums to see if we really sounded like them, then rediscovered their like for them. Ganun lang naman yun di ba? One man’s meat is another man’s poison.

No comments: