Friday, May 09, 2003

I'm glad I didn't screw things up last night. We had a great gig even though I was aware that there was something missing...Selena. The set was great but it could have been more perfect if Selena was there.

I'm not sure if I could narrate things that happened last night in detail, like how Selena does it, but I'll try. Here goes...

It was already around 9pm and I haven't left my room yet. I promised Charms that I'll be picking her up as early as 9.30 pm and I promised Allan that I'll be there before ten. It was all because of my freakin' black satin slip. It took me more than an hour to realize that it was hopeless to find it since 98% of my clothing are black and my room has dim lighting and that it was night time. It was already around 9.45 pm when I decided to wear something else. I passed by a store near the Starbucks in Katipunan to buy my supply of clove cigarettes then I went straight to Visayas Ave. to pick up Charms. We arrived in Millenia around 10.30, I think. We had a hard time parking the van in the middle of two cars infront of the venue. When we got off the ride, we were welcomed by the presence of Allan and the Popular "manyak" Days who were all sitting outside.

Once I got inside the venue, I went straight to the bar to get our free beers. We sat with Eloha and Popoy and Roel, and chatted a bit. Roel said something like, "Ayn, ang payat payat mo ngayon. Nag-shashabu ka ba? Ikaw ha, isusumbong kita kay mommy." I was flattered and at the same time, I was insulted. I guess that's the way it is with Roel, he would flatter you and the next moment he'll insult you. Of course, I told him that I'm not into any of those shite especially now that I have a daughter to think about. All of my money are going to Tristania. Well, okay--almost all of my money.

Anyway, Downboydown played first. As usual, Nico is drunk. That works for him and they did a good set. While they were still playing, I went back to the bar to have some red wine. Charms and I chatted some more and before I knew it, it was time for Candyaudioline's set. I was so nervous and had no idea what would come out of our set. Earlier that night, Ralph, Allan and I were arguing which songs, we're gonna play. Finally, we settled for "My Silverchair," "Nothing Much to Lose," "Felt so Fine," "Can't Find a Better View," and "An Empty You." Much to our surprise, we did real well. Everyone was cheering and Sir Charles was taking our pictures. Naubos niya yung buong film sa set lang namin. The audience were so responsive that he also took their pictures. Nakakabitin nga lang that we only did five songs. We would've been able to play more songs kung andun lang sana si Selena. Also, kung nagustuhan kami ng mga tao sa lagay na yon, what more if Selena's singing.

It's flattering to see people being really attentive to us. It's been a long time since we had this kind of crowd. For the past gigs we've been playing with commercially established Backbeat bands who has an audience who cares only for the likes of Cheese and PnE. This time, it's the "indie" people who could at least understand what we're doing. There was even this one guy with afro-like hair at the corner near the speakers at the side of the stage who was so into our music that he was doing air guitars and all during our set. As in feel na feel niya todo.

When we were finally done with our set, people were saying that we should play more. Eh wala eh, wala kasi si Selena. Kami rin naman nabitin. Sayang talaga.

Spring Boutique went on next with their tweepop acoustic set. Popular Days played after them. Siempre puro asar na naman sa mga manyak boys. Soft Pillow Kisses played last. They had a really long set (8 songs I think. Maybe even more).

To end the night, I had a glass of margarita. They ran out of red wine already. Bummer. And I thought I'm not supposed to get drunk. I bumped into a lot of Buzznite/ABG's/K8 people whom I haven't seen for a long time. It was nice. It felt like the "old" Buzznite days. I met old friends like Arnel (of Skies of Ember), Liarns, Tiffany, Jen, Jefkid and many more. We all had a talk about our lives and how we've all been doing. They're all excited about my baby. Nakakatawa kasi si Nico (of Downboydown) kinamusta yung baby ko, thinking that I haven't given birth yet. Si Jefkid naman, pinagpipilitan na baby daw namin si Tristania at tinatanong kung pareho parin sila ng buhok. Gawd, he was so drunk that night. Baka may maniwala sa mga sinasabi niya.

Everyone else was telling me that they really liked Candyaudioline's set. They said that we sound different now but they like the change we had. It was for the better, according to them. I told them, if they liked what they heard, wait till they hear us again with our vocalist. She's the best vocalist we've had. Totoo naman eh. They're all looking forward to that.

Charms and I left Millenia around 2 am. The night was so great, I forgot that I was supposed to be home earlier to work on a paper. Since I got home real late and drunk, I wasn't able to work on it. Buti nalang, puede pa mag pass ng paper sa Monday. At least I was still able to get up just in time for my early class.

Whew.

No comments: