Saturday, May 10, 2003

I now regret the fact that I don't live in the midst of our civilization.* I guess it's high time for me and Trista to move out of this place and transfer to some pad (condo?) somewhere in Makati.

Selena and Ralph texted me this afternoon about PULP's May issue. Ralph said that Denise (of PULP) texted him that some mag stalls already have the said issue. Having learned that, I rushed back to SM Fairview, hoping that the Odyssey record bar already has it. But NOOOOO. I couldn't stand the fact that it's already out and I still don't have it so I decided to go straight to Robinson's Galleria along EDSA. It was already 6pm (rush hour) pero tumuloy parin ako. Fuck Manila traffic! It took me an hour to get there, and another hour to get back to Fairview. When I finally had a glimpse of Galleria's big "70% sale off" billboard, I had the feeling that I was about to enter paradise.

Hinihingal ako pagdating sa loob. When I finally reached this mag stall at one corner and saw PULP's May issue, I could imagine hearing Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" playing at the background.. At loooong last!!!!!

So, about the article... To answer Selena's question which she posted a few entries back--well, I'd like to think that it was a fair portrayal of the band. Joey had a good impression of us...I guess. And to think that I felt so guilty after I asked him to treat us with a round of drinks when we just arrived. I was thinking then, "'Taina, ba't ko ginawa yun. Bad image. Baka akala feeling rakstars tayo. Kapal ng mukha ko." Good thing, if ever na bad trip sha nun, hindi naman nag reflect sa article. Pero ok naman lang yata sa kanya, judging sa reaction niya that time. Saka nginitian naman niya ako nun Summer Slam. Ah ewan, basta yun.

The candyaudioline article covered two whole pages. Same thing with SPK. As expected, dinistort nga yung pictures to achieve a certain effect na parang hanging curtains or something. I noticed some typos here and there (halatang minadali yung issue). We all know that our interview took some time so don't be surprised kung bakit ang daming nawala sa article na pinagusapan natin noon sa Seventy-seven. Major editing. Title nung article, candyaudioline: sticking to the sound (and the persian food). Obviously, binigyan ng emphasis yung Kebab obsession natin (na hindi na ngayon). Nagkamali lang si Joey ng nilagay. Instead of Mister Kabab, akala niya Prince Kebab yung pinupuntahan natin. Okay lang, common naman na ngayon yung mga pumupunta ng Mister Kabab lalo na sa eksena. Look at the Boldstar write-up sa April issue.

Yung point-of-view ni Allan regarding the term "indie," claro naman. I think, Joey got the idea of what Allan and the rest of us were trying to say. Joey was able to give out the impression na hindi lang mga taga labas ng Buzznite scene ang tumitira satin, kundi pati narin yung mga taga loob. That's fair enough. Some people think, Buzznite people (that includes us) are so elitist to the point that the whole music scene is starting to seem like a "we-think-we're-indie-bec-we're-independent-period vs. Buzznite bands" scenario. Or vice-versa. At least dun sa article, napakita na this is not the case when it comes to Candyaudioline.

Ano pa ba masasabi ko? Ayun, cute tayo sa pictures. And no, we're not on the cover ok. Linkin' Park yung andun. Though our name was mentioned somewhere on the cover alongside SPK, Copper Pop Thrill, Narda, and some of the other Bands who were with us during the photo shoot at the Green Planet.. Joey was able to tame down some of my answers: the one where I mentioned Sandwich and the "We don't need their opinion" line. Basta na neutralize yung pagka angas natin at nagmukha tayong mga santito't santita. Parang maangas pero down to earth (malabo ba?). Parang ahas na bungal (sige na corny nako).

Yun lang.



*In tagalog, kinamumuhian ko na ang malupit na katotohanan na hindi ako nakatira sa kalagitnaan ng sibilisasyon ng Kamaynilaan.

No comments: