Tuesday, May 17, 2005

So where were we?

Anyway, at around 5:30 or 6 pm, Allan finally finished all his chores and we got in Ayn’s van and sped off to coastal road. We passed Binondo, which sucked because there was a traffic jam and I was so hungry and the guys needed to pee. Fortunately, Beejay was with us and he kept making wisecracks that entertained us on the ride. A particularly funny conversation revolved around circumcision. Allan saw a signboard saying the prices for different “cuts” and he called our attention to it. And I said, “Ano ba yung german cut? Is there really a difference?” And so, Beejay attempted to explain to us females the differences between various circumcision styles. We laughed so hard because his descriptions were pretty graphic, and I can only remember words he used like “pukpok” and “namumulaklak” and “extra” and me learning what “bolitas” were. Ayn said it wasn’t enough for them to explain, she wanted the three guys in the back to compare and contrast! Laugh fest!

(Incidentally, they refused to add visual aids, despite heavy pressure.)

Finally, we reached the area near the bay where the SM mall was and we drove though a Jollibee for some eats. Aw man. That torpedo was good. I could think again! Good thing we ate, too, because it took us an hour more to find Cavite City! We got lost once we hit Cavite and we were in Kawit, feeling frustrated. I said, “Nasaan na ba tayo?” when we suddenly passed this really old-looking house. “Is that—Is that?---“

“Oo! Yung bahay ni Aguinaldo!” Ayn squealed. Both of us squealed.

“Wow! Wooowww… diyan nangyari yung independence chuvahhh…”

“Oo nga… Allan, Allan! Stopover tayo!”

“Heh.”

Finally, after asking for directions, we arrived at Padi’s Point. They actually set up a concert-style stage in their garden that also ate up part of the street, so it was more than your usual band gig event. Evidently, Cavite loved its Kamikazee. When we were shown up to the loft, we were really impressed with the Zen-like décor, complete with low tables and cushions on the floor. It really made us relax after our uncomfortable trip. We all kind of lay down on the floor in various places around the room. I tried to get some shut-eye while waiting for our food. And when it came, I was suddenly very awake… they had ordered a special inihaw smorgasbord, which afterwards, left us with overly full bellies and the urge to puke. Bleeaaghhgh.

We were also kind of nervous before our set. I don’t know why. Anyway, we tried to relax some more while some local bands played. The band who played before us had a girl vocalist, so I felt better, and they were kind of ok… if they had twee-ish keyboards, they’re songs would be pretty decent.

So it was our turn. Well, I’m always at a loss when I get to this part because sets are sets are sets most of the time, and I run out of things to say about them these days. This one was definitely better than Rajah Sulayman in terms of performance. Everyone did well. We played about 6 songs, but they were all safe, so it was fair. I mean, I know I was nervous, but the whole thing seemed kind of given already just because our safe songs are pretty straightforward and relatively many people will like them anyway, just because they’re heavy. I mean, would the same number of people like “You” or “Pretend We’re Smart” or “Can’t Sleep” right away? So, sometimes for me, it can become rote, somewhat… and maybe that’s the reason I can’t write extensively about our actual sets when I post about gigs we’ve had recently. Once, after reading one of my recent entries, Allan said, “Eh hindi ka naman nagsulat tungkol sa tugtog mismo,” and I said, “Ewan ko… wala akong maisip eh. Kayo na lang.” Tapos ngayon (as in this moment) ko lang naisip na baka ito pala yung rason. But Saturday night was ok. We did well and it was fun to play out of town again. The crowd was receptive and the people at Padi’s Point were very solicitous.

The ride home was quiet because people were tired and sleepy. Or were we quiet? I couldn’t really tell because I put my mp3 player on and i can’t really remember if we were talking or not. Anyway, they dropped me off at home and I think the guys got off at Cubao and Allan at Teacher’s Village because he had to meet Moonstar for their weekend Vigan trip.

+++

About last night

We had a semi-impromptu gig at Mayric’s last night fronting for Moonstar and Kamikazee. Ayn graciously picked me up early and we listened to some semi-feminist discussion on the radio in the van (I say “semi” because, although I’ve no doubt that the resource person was sincere and a pioneer of Philippine feminism, her historical facts were sketchy and not very enlightening about the Filipina’s plight {nothing we hadn’t spouted ourselves as female pseudo-intellectual college students before}… I was looking for more meat in the discussion and more credibility, plus the interviewer sounded a bit ditzy).

Anyway, we were at Mayric’s early so I decided to order food because I was hungry again!! Hmm, hungry all the time, sleepy all the time, dizzy spells… tsk, tsk, tsk! So I waited and waited and fidgeted and my breaded porkchop was nowhere to be seen. I started to annoy my seatmates (Ayn, Roel and B) with my whining and grumbling about my food. Then when I asked for it, they told me that they had given it to Backbeat Lorenz and he had eaten it! Agh! I was going nuts. As I’ve said before, I can’t think when I’m hungry. So I ordered it again and when it finally came thirty minutes later, I was the happiest formerly-very-disgruntled kid in town.

It took a while before our set because there were a lot of front acts aside from us. Finally, we took the stage with “Better View”, “we’ve Been There”, “Felt So Fine” and “Something Wrong.” It wasn’t a perfect set, but I had a good time, just because Mayric’s seems a lot like home these days. I’m glad we played “Something Wrong”, even if (to me) it sounded a bit off--- dunno if it was me or dennis’ off-kilter guitar effects. But it was a risk and it was good. I hope we can review more of the old stuff so we introduce more variety in our sets. One of things I’ve always loved about this band is its versatility in sound, though we’ve probably not had the opportunity to showcase that in this past year due to different circumstances.

No comments: