Tuesday, March 29, 2005

“When I am king, you will be first against the wall…

…with your opinion, which is of no consequence at all.” ------ radiohead


That can apply both ways, can’t it, especially to this blog? For one thing, I don’t write about anything especially worthwhile or funny or enlightening. Most of the time, I just rattle off stuff the band did or what’s happened to us. The above can also apply to whoever has anything to say regarding what’s written here… sure, you’ll be heard, but it ultimately won’t mean much. We’re a self-absorbed bunch (both as a band and individually—and that means anyone who’s ever been associated with candyaudioline. Yeah, you are. Admit it.).

But, to split hairs, the first part of the epigram is what matters, really. It’s come to signify the ups and downs of my view of communication. Thank you, Candyblog. Your existence has caused me to grow as a thinking and communicating being. Let me just recap: When this blog started, I felt like saying anything and everything that came to mind, seldom thinking about what everyone else thought (I think it was because I thought no one read this anyway). Then the fiasco happened and I realized one could be crucified for any little misstep and so I adjusted. Then I thought, ok, why not just stick to the facts? Unfortunately, it can get very boring that way. Also, I’m practically the only one keeping this blog alive these days. (Hmmm… I know I’ve said all this before, but repetition is yummy, especially if you delude yourself into thinking you’re right hehe).

If there’s one thing I miss about the blog controversies, it’s the way everyone starts speaking up. I get tired of “listening” to myself.

So, by default, I decree that I can say anything I want here. If I feel it’s relevant, I write it. If I don’t, but I want to anyway, I write it. Screw the naysayers.

And so, here goes my review of March Buzz Night:

The show started on time. The Suncastle played first. They’re actually the former Staring Season. They played ok, but I was hoping they’d sound better this time around. Some of their songs sound very popish and not very different from what I hear on the radio. Not really something I’d look for at a Buzz Night. Matilda played next. I just liked their last song. Then came Bagetsafonik. I’m really starting to be a fan. They’re probably one of the few bands I really enjoyed that night, aside from Tether, who gave an equally amazing set. Popular Days was ok, but I really think that their originals are better than their covers. I think if they had played more of the former, they would have gotten past their minor Ian’s-not-here disability. Great songs sound great, whether or not you’re playing a full setup. Superminty was fun, but I can’t really tell if it was good just because I can’t be objective. Ask someone who was there. Same goes for Candyaudioline, which played well despite a new guitarist. My Science Project played last. Sorry guys, you’ll have to come earlier next time. It was too bad because they sounded really balanced that night. Sunsetdrive also recovered well despite the loss of one member. I’m not really an emo kinda person, but Allan says you guys are good.

On a side note, Allan said he’ll probably not let me handle Buzz Night anymore because I get so worked up hehehe. I’m really glad. He wants me to take a very minor backgroundish role… I think that’s good because I miss those days when I used to not care and everything still seemed to go well, and besides, I’m not having fun anymore. I’ll probably just show up right before we’re on or something like that. Wipee.

And that was my Buzz Night post. ‘Til next time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Here we are stranded / Somehow it seems the same / Beware, here comes the quiet life again" - David Sylvian, "the quiet life"

-----------------------------------
i deserve a title too!!! hyuck,hyuck!!! anyway, i think allan is right. you should take a breather. the time you spend waiting for stage time is at times, spent dabbling with anxiety.

it's my first time hearing superminty and it blows, man!!!! i like the last song. the dirge-y slow number.

ganun ba sabi ni allan? wow, shucks. :) thanks! personally, i don't mind us being tagged as "emo", after all, we started out with practicing to songs from the genre's bands. but after telling everyone we play "punk", they always associate us with "green day" or "blink 182". i think i'm comfy with just "rock". hahaha!!! i mean, i'm heavily into jazz right now (i hope you let helen play again with us!) and i'm down with shoegazey, 80's british things too. the connection? i dunno. :)

anyway, like my title suggests, you have a quiet life. :)

ekongsunset