Wednesday, August 20, 2003

Since si Roel hindi naman nagco-contribute dito, I just decided na ako na ang mag type tungkol sa kanya. Here goes….

I met Roel sometime end of 2000 sa Verve Room. I was with two of my friends from the goth scene (Annejo and her boyfriend that time, Aids of Prominence of Cathedrals). We went there for a couple of drinks. Then this kanto-boy/amay looking dude approached our table. He showed us this piece of paper with list of CD’s that his friend was selling. I then thought, “Ah waiter pala to. Ayos ah nagbebenta rin ng CD’s. Siguro utusan ni Hank”. Hank was the part-owner of Verve Room and is now part of the management of the new Big Sky Mind. I think. Anyway, as this dude approached us, he said, “Hi! Ako si Roel. Mahilig ba kayo sa mga Gothic (he pronounced it as gotik)?” We then answered hesitantly, “Uh… bakit?” Tapos sabi ni Roel, “Kasi nagbebenta friend ko ng mga CD’s baka interesado kayo.” He then showed us the list of CD’s, “Ayan o, may Theatre of Tragedy, mga gothic compilation, ayan o diba.” My friends and I looked at each other and smirked. We got the piece of paper anyway.

Months after, the first goth gathering after how many years (the last one was 1995) was held at Ritual de lo Habitual. I went there with my friends and their bands who were playing for that night. I saw Roel again. I was surprised and thought, “Bakit andito yung waiter ng Verve?” Then I saw Hank. Ah baka sinama lang ni Hank. This time mukha talagang waiter si Roel with his white poet shirt and black vest. Then nagulat ako when Five Wounds played. I think that was their first gig sa goth gatherings so people were waiting for their set. Roel played lead guitars for the band. Naisip ko ulit, “Aba ang waiter marunong pala mag gitara. With matching feel na feel looks pa.” He was doing that “lip thing” that he’s doing now while playing drums with Candyaudioline.

A couple of months passed by again then there was another goth gathering in Makati at a place called Bistro 101 (if I got the name right). Nung set na ng banda ni Roel nun, he was carrying his guitar papuntang stage. Ako naman, I was thinking na familiar mukha niya. I thought at first na baka kabanda ng Skies of Ember (that night was Skies’ first gig sa goth gatherings) so I waved at him and told him, “Good luck sa set niyo ha.” Tapos ngiti naman sha. Later I learned na dinagukan sha ng gf niya that time kasi akala baka nakikipag landian sa kin.

I was drunk that night and when the gig ended and Roel with his minions were about to leave, I told him, “Hey I know you, right?!” He answered, “Yeah! Verve Room right?!” Aba nag English si mokong. Dun ako naging sure na Five Wounds pala yung band niya (weeks later their drummer became my boyfriend).

The next day, my friend who happens to be ½ of the organizer for the goth gatherings called me up telling me that guys from Five Wounds wanted to get my number. He was asking me if it’s ok with me. I told him it’s ok and he answered, “Are you sure?” then he told me stuff about Roel. My friend didn’t give them my number but in some other way Roel and their drummer still managed to get my number from someone else. God, these people were desperate.

During my first conversations with Roel over the phone and through text, there were many times na pa-away ang mga sinasabi niya. I wondered, “bat pa ko tinatawagan kasi nito.”

We were able to hang out at this Consortium event. I was supposed to be on a date with their drummer and was very irritated that it was Roel who kept on talking to me. Ang kulit! So I decided to leave their group and just hang out with Dott and some people from Buzznite na nakita ko dun.

Dumaan ang madaming buwan…. I was already going steady with their drummer. Roel learned that I play for some indie band. It was funny because everytime I attended their rehearsals, dadating sha in full indie get-up. (As if I’d be impressed by that)

Tapos dumating yung time when Candy was desperate for a drummer. Since we were so desperate, Allan tried asking my then boyfriend to play for us during one Buzznite. Eh nagkataon kasama ng bf ko si Roel at narinig ang pinag-uusapan, ayun at sumingit si Amay at sobrang excited sa pagsabi, “Ako nalang!”

Pumayag ako since I don’t want to be bandmates with anyone na ka steady ko. Besides, my boyfriend was telling me before na ok daw pumalo si Roel when he was still with bands like Apostate and Barang. I believed him. At first hindi ok yung practice namin with Roel pero ayos lang since hindi pa naman sha familiar sa songs.

Nowadays, nagtataka lang ako kung ano na nangyari sa kanya. But I’m still proud of him. There are some gigs na ok talaga sha, even if there are more gigs na nasisira ang set because of him too.

Yun yung story ni Roel. But I think it would be better kung makuha natin yung side niya.

+++++++

Kay Ralph naman, Joey had to quit Candy because of me. That was before Roel came in. At first, si Jerome ng Daydream at Teeth ang nag guitar for Candy pero nawalan na rin ng gana later on. Again, because of me. Bwahahahaha!

Anyway, marami kaming options nun. Isa dun si Diego ng Monsterbot. Sabi ni Allan fan daw ng candy si Diego pero ayaw ni Allan na sha sana ang pumalit kay Joey. Ako naman since I thought that Diego looks cute and all, I was hoping na sha nalang para naman magkaron ng pogi sa banda. Eh ayaw talaga ni Allan. Then he started texting us na nakahanap na sha ng permanent guitarist. Friend daw niya. Una kong tanong, “pogi ba?” Sabi ni Allan ok lang. Since wala naman talaga akong control sa decisions ni Allan, bahala nalang talaga.

Unang practice namin with Ralph, I was a bit disappointed because he didn’t look as cute as I expected him to be. So tinanong ko nalang, “Ano mga pinapakinggan mo?” He answered (na parang irritable pa na kinukulit ko sha), “Parokya.” Naisip ko, “Nyek. Patay.”

He played well for a first practice. But I still tried persuading Allan into getting Diego instead of him. Allan insisted na ok si Ralph, at kung tutuusin mas marunong pa yan kay Diego basta lang ma familiarize sha sa genre ng Candy. And he was so right.

I know there was even this one time when I complained to Allan that Ralph’s guitar style was “so Parokya”. Nagalit sakin si Ralph nun. Take note, sa sobrang gago ko, sa akin nagalit sa Ralph. To think, if it weren’t for that instance never talaga nagagalit si Ralph ng ganun.

Di nagtagal, I was proven wrong. Now, Ralph is the source of pride for Candyaudioline.

No comments: