Thursday, August 07, 2003

Hey, Peeps! I’m not sure kung tuloy tayo this Friday kasi tinanong ko lang si Allan kung may upcoming gig tayo and he said maybe then… it’s another kamikazee bar tour thing… but he’s thinking baka hindi puwede kasi lagare yata siya nun. Anyway, basta ba namang I-text niya tayo way before.

Yes, In BeTWEEn Days is on Sunday, but he also failed to mention last night kung kasama ang candyaudioline. Siguro naman ano… and, frankly, I miss the grit of our own songs after a whole day’s worth of singing out of my nose: “I can’t believe you’d saaaaaaaaaaay…”!!!

Yesterday afternoon, Allan and Charles and John Paul and I had a call-conference and it was a surreal experience. Ang gulo nilang kausap! Nagbabastusan lang silang lahat dun hehehe… basta. Allan and I settled on a mini-playlist for my softpillowkisses session last night. I had been hoping to sing “80’s Fan” so that I have one less song to learn (he only gave me the lyrics that same morning!), but he said Lara had dibs on that already. So we settled on: Harsh Words, I Don’t Know What to Say, It Will Never Last, Stay for a While, and Bathing in the Sun. I spent the afternoon memorizing, or trying to, the songs and the tunes. Actually, it would have been fun if only I weren’t under time pressure. I like the simple lyrics and the dainty melodies… but I would have had an easier time if the songs didn’t sound so much alike. It was hard to make sense of which is which. By the time Charles and John Paul had arrived to fetch me, I was so nervous and I could hardly clutch my cheat sheets. We fetched Lara at her boyfriend’s condo, then headed on to Blue Onion.

We arrived there before Allan did. They had a fricking dress code, man… leather shoes… and “smart and stylish” dapat. My ass. It was a Moonstar 88 bar tour. Blue Ketchup did covers to a half-empty restaurant, but their familiarity attracted more customers. So it was our turn. Ang tagal ng soundcheck. Nagtatae pa yung BAGONG gitara ni Charles. Tapos nawalan sa tono yung gitara ni Allan. Lara did about 3 songs and then Allan called me. I couldn’t take the crowd. They were so quiet… and bored. I didn’t even bother “reaching out to them”, I really just stared at the Mild Seven ashtray on the table in front of the stage. Anyway, we finished. We waited for Moonstar to finish, too. There were very few people there, but I’d really have to hand it to Acel—she made them feel good.

I was really tired by the end of the night. Allan really liked our set… he said, bagay daw yung boses ko sa pillow songs. That was such a laugh. Me, of all people. So he felt like practicing. We went to Mang Jun’s. We practiced for about an hour. It was cool. But I really miss candy.

One thing I noticed about pillow… I really like their professionalism. I don’t know if it was just that night. When they practice, lahat sila focused. Although focused yung most members ng candy pag practice, parang kulang pa rin. I can’t put my finger on it. Maybe it’s just my imagination.

Ok. I had fun last night. But Allan wants to make me temporary vocalist while they search for a new one. Damn. More work for me. Pero ok lang. Masaya. Ayoko lang talaga sa mga matataas na songs. It’s not me. Baka isipin ng ibang tao babae ako hehehe.

No comments: