Tuesday, August 26, 2003

Hello, peeps. As you all know, we went on “In The Raw” last night on NU 107. We were sharing the booth with Soft Pillow Kisses, Spring Boutique, and Popular Days, mostly because we all share some members. Let me just show a lineup to give you an idea:

Candyaudioline
Ayn
Roel
Ralph
Me
Allan

Soft Pillow Kisses
Allan
Louie
Lara
John Paul
Charles

Popular Days
Charles
John Paul
Eric
***

Spring Boutique
Charles
John Paul
Lei
Antz

This caused Francis Reyes to dub the episode “Allan Montero In the Raw Night”. He was pretty overwhelmed by our number at first, but he knew how to handle us after a while. It was confusing for us, too… Allan didn’t want us to go one by one because it would seem too serious of us, when most of had already been on the show before. He wanted it to be something like “Here we are with our new songs and we just want to have fun on the air”. Uh-huh.

It was ok. It was pretty weird in the booth because we were all cracking jokes and people kept taking pictures… basta ang gulo namin talaga! But I was surprised to hear part of the taping afterwards because we didn’t seem as noisy as we really were in the booth. Well, for those of you who listened, you know how it turned out. All in all, it was a fair episode. I think everyone enjoyed it a lot.

Call me anal, but I had some problems about last night. I remember months before when someone suggested that we do “In The Raw” along with Popular Days and Allan said something like, “Magmamanyakan lang tayo dun… huwag!” Well, that’s what happened last night. I mean jokes are ok and all… but I just wish nobody had mentioned Nymphettes or Romeo’s or whatever. I like them as private jokes, but for us to bring it up on the air was just plain too crass for me. Don’t get me wrong. I LOVE Popular Days and all our other friends from indie bands who patronize those places. I just didn’t think Nymphettes was appropriately mentioned last night. And of course, there were other things that were put into focus last night that made me raise my eyebrows. I will not elaborate.


The preceding thoughts were written the morning after our NU guesting. However, I now feel that it was great. We did have fun, after all, and people were given a chance to hear the new stuff we had produced since the last album. Now they know we haven’t been sitting on our asses :)

One thing depresses me, though. Allan and Ralph got to hear how our songs sound on the radio, and they both were disappointed. We all feel that the finished product doesn’t come close to how we had originally envisioned the songs. Because of this, they’re actually considering not releasing the EP anytime soon. Boohoo. I talked to Allan about it. I asked him why not, when we all had agreed to release it even if it wasn’t up to par, and THEN do well on the next release. He said, “I understand how you guys still aren’t thinking on the band level and want to release the EP just to be able to tell people that we’ve produced something. But in the long run, if we release it now knowing it’s not good, you’ll be regretting your decision. It’ll hurt to turn out something mediocre now.” And we saw his point, even if it depressed us. It’s true… the guitars weren’t given the emphasis we had wanted. And the drums sound sucky (not entirely Roel’s fault). So now, we’re wondering what to do. Should we record them again? That would be hell on our pockets (Allan’s and Ralph’s) and we don’t know how soon we’ll be able to release it after that. Should we have it remixed at this place Allan knows? That would be expensive AND time consuming for sure. We’re trapped by our own perfectionism… at the same time, we’re not really sorry that we are. This is the way we think.

Meanwhile, you can download the current versions of our 4 songs somewhere on Soulseek (I think Ralph put them there). Time will tell about the EP…

No comments: