Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Buzz Night last Saturday

What made last Saturday’s gig great was the bunch of fresh talent that cropped up. It was fortunate, too. What would Buzz Night be without the last-minute lineup disasters we’ve come to know so well? Three of our regular bands, Popular Days, Tether and Sunset Drive, had to back out a few days before the gig because of unavailable members, the first band on the night itself, even. No matter… Allan somehow was able to get the elusive Shimmer and Nyctynasty to play, and the reliable My Science Project arrived to help us out, too, despite their own lineup hassles.

First up was newcomer Inhaler, who played some indie rock. I like the promise of how they play their guitars and the lazy vocals. It reminds me of some of the cool stuff that used to trickle onto MTV in the early 90s. Sigh, nostalgia trip hehehe. Also, one of the guys was actually a senior in my freshman year in high school, so I couldn’t help but remember those uncertain but exciting times for me. Side story: In our high school caf, there was this table way down in the corner that was exclusively for senior guys. One day, at lunch, one of my innocent batchmates put his tray down at that table and some senior guys arrived, indignant at this sacrilege. One of the guys mouthing off was the future Inhaler vocalist, and I think at that moment he epitomized that age-old “Seniors-are-gods” rule for me. Hehehe. I know this totally pegs him as a bully, but people grow up, believe it or not. Anyway, all seniors are dicks to freshmen. That’s the pecking order. By the way, Allan said they should do more stuff like their third song, the slow one… parang Teenage Fanclub daw tsaka bagay sa kanila.

Shimmer played next and I liked them. Their songs are a bit more conventional, but they have priceless moments within and I think some other people noticed they were good. I bet they could kick the asses of the current local popular bands if they hit mainstream. In any case, I was grateful they showed up at short notice and I enjoyed their set.

Soft Pillow Kisses followed. For once, they played early because Charles has work these days. Great set. They’re really in fine form now. It’s funny about that old Pulp issue Allan was talking about because shortly after that pictorial in 2003, Gilbert joined his mainstream band and the lineup was broken, so it was never fully realized, especially since Eloha “left” after that as well. So when we looked at the pic and saw that it was the current lineup, it really seemed providential. Wow. They’re doing well and are more stable as a unit. Good luck to you guys.

Kings and Pawns, find of the night from Las Pinas, did their thing after that. I really liked their lo-fi songs. It was very refreshing to hear a band like that at Buzz Night again. Plus, I love their attitude onstage. Just the right amount of indifference without the arrogance and hostility so weirdly revered in scenes in which you’d think they belong. True transcendence. I really, really wish they’d come back next Buzz. Really.

Nyctynasty followed it up with their “kinky core”… at least, that’s what Tether Beejay calls it. He played bass for them that night. They are amazing with their guitars, but what I can’t get over is how cute they were. You girls are just so damned cute. I know all this fawning over your appearance is probably going to make you puke, but I can’t help it. If I were a guy, I’d be in love with you.

Next, Candyaudioline played. Thanks to Joel, who risked a relapse of hypertension just to not let us down. Did a few unexpected songs and a few staples.
Finally, a three-piece My Science Project took the stage. Fighting Spirit Award talaga kayo. Although a lot of their songs had to sound really basic, I still enjoyed your set. Hope next time won’t be a short-notice thing anymore.

All in all, a good gig. Lots of promise and affirmation. We’ll work on it, don’t worry.

No comments: