Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Metamorphosis

We played around 5 or 6 songs at Mayric's. It was only at that gig when I realized that our move, in replacing our old drummer with a new one, was really for the better. Most of our songs came to life. Before starting our set, I whispered to Ezekiel, "Kiel, anjan si Roel, 'wag mo kami pahihiyain ha." He only replied with a smile. At the end of our set, I figured that there really was no need for me to remind him about that. He can play for us real well without even trying. The situation was pretty ironic to think that Roel was even there to witness our metamorphosis.

Our new guitarist did well too but he still needs a bit of tweaking here and there. Although he played really well (mind you), there is this certain "it" that I'm still looking for. I must say that our old guitarist, Ralph, is one guy who is so hard to substitute for and/or trade in for another. There's something about his guitar playing that is almost impossible to be captured by another guitarist. There had been countless gigs where we managed to leave other bands with their jaws dropped to the floor and the reason for all that was Ralph. Admittedly, he was our gem (not to mention that he’s also my daughter’s godfather) and I kinda miss having him as our guitarist. But some things just took place and it was quite inevitable in the end for some things to change. Sometimes I find myself wishing that those things didn’t happen, that I had the chance to intervene and change his mind--but I guess it’s useless for me to feel that now and I must try to adapt with Allan’s optimism.

Who knows--in time, perhaps, Dennis can surpass whatever it is that Ralph has accomplished.

No comments: