Monday, November 10, 2003

Matilda’s EP Launch

We’re all friends, of course. It just so happened that in the heat of stress and emotions and the wish to fulfill promises made, even the best of friends can falter.

Ayn and I arrived on time at Millennia for the Matilda EP Launch in the hopes that we could perform SOMEHOW. Charles was there, having just fixed Ayn’s bass, and as Allan requested he accompanied us for the night. There was a little personal surprise Ayn had in store for us that night, but it’s something too delicate to tell. It just concerns Tristania, whom she had brought that night and proudly showed off to Matilda fans and friends alike. Tristania was so cute in her denim dress and bonnet, but sleep had made her ornery and she just chose to cling to her mother for the rest of the time she was there. Ayn sent her home after a while, having achieved her purpose for the night.

Matilda’s EP launch was successful and well-planned. Jovan was kind enough to give us our food stubs, even if there really was no way for us to play that night. Charms, in her black dress and fisherman’s hat, reminded me of a prettier Jeepers Creepers hehehe. The rest of the band were decked in red and white. Their first set, after sets from friends Kiko Machine and Lester Canon, was a series of covers with the various sessionists they had worked with at one time or another. Ayn was slated to play “Cornflake Girl”, and though she had hesitated on a few first notes because she thought it was still part of soundcheck (hehe), she gave a powerful thump to the Matrilda rendition. Ang galing nila (Matilda), especially when their violinist Maricor does her thing.

All throughout the gig, we were texting Allan and asking if he could still make it. He sounded very distraught and stressed out. Charms was disappointed because she really wanted to hear us play “Flaming Walls”; she even talked it over with the band and they decided to let us play even after their final set, just so we could. Sadly, even that was impossible. We were embarrassed, but there really was nothing anyone could do because even Allan and Roel wanted to play— but they had work, which was also very important. Matilda understood, of course. We thanked them for inviting us and left for Klub 102 when the night was over.

Charles had invited Chi of Millennia to join us at Klub 102 where we were to meet Allan later that morning. He didn’t look to sure, but he said they’d try… he asked if he could bring Diego of Monsterbot and some friends. Of course, we agreed.

So there we were, Ayn and Charles and I, at Klub 102, waiting. We were waiting for Allan. We were waiting for Chi, but thinking they probably wouldn’t be able to follow because we had heard that Tiffany and the rest of the group at Millennia were heading to Nakayama in Matalino to drink. Around half an hour later, Chi arrived with Diego, Ge and Bea. We were pleased that they had come, even if it was such an impromptu plan. They found the place cool, and were looking eagerly at the Joy Division, Killing Joke, Robert Smith, Sid Vicious posters. “Uy, pare, may Moshi Moshi record pa dito o.” Hehe.

“British na british dito a.”

They had fun listening to the music, and it reminded me of the first time we drank there. They were thinking of songs to request... they thought Kulb 102 was cool. We talked to them also; it was the first time we hung out with them. Chi was introducing me to their other friend (Um, I think her name was Jen… sorry, by that time I was tipsy and the music was loud and I couldn’t hear well) and he couldn’t tell her what my name was because WE had never been introduced. “Selena,” I said, shaking their hands and to Chi, “That’s ok. We’d never been introduced. I have this picture of the two of us together and when I had to name the file, I named it “Selena and Some Guy’.” We laughed at that.

Diego is actually my nephew in some weird way. My first cousin is his dad’s first cousin… I think it’s that close. This is all by affinity of course. He didn’t remember me right away though. “What??? You didn’t remember me? Then why were you saying hi to me at gigs all these months? Who did you think i was?”

“I don’t know… I recognized you, but I didn’t know from where! But yeah, I remember we were ushers at Ate Bon’s wedding with sina Armee…”

Haha. Weird. So by the time we were buzzed, we were telling all the people around the table, “Hey, I’m his TITA!” and “Hey she’s my TITA!” Sheesh. But at least now, we can really talk when we see each other because we’re sure hehe. He promised he’d burn me an eggboy cd one day… and I’ll probably give him some candy too.

There was this really funny thing that happened. Ayn told Diego that he looked like LA Lopez, and all of us were laughing. He was indignant at first, “Hindi naman ha! Jao Mapa, pwede pa! Hahah!” and then in two seconds he suddenly burst out with, “Eh kasi BATA!” which set us guffawing anew. Oh, man. You should have seen that. It was great… as Ayn said before about our first Klub 102 experience, this one had “good vibes”.

Allan arrived really late because he couldn’t get away from Cheese right away. He’d already downed a liter and a half of Red Horse before then. But he sat and talked with us until sina Chi had to go. Oh yeah, I’d like to thank the girl who arrived, Jen (?), for being so nice to us and sharing her red wine with us. Thank you so much.

And that was it for Friday night.

No comments: