Sunday, February 01, 2004

"Insecurity Guards"

I've been advised not to react and post anything anymore in relation to Selena's "excuse me, please" entry. However, after having done some thinking and after everybody has said their piece, I figured that it's fair enough that I post my own piece. Here goes..

"So what the hell is this about," you may ask. I say, it's about some people who can never accept "unsolicited criticisms" of some person's observation. It's a lesson for me and my band, for the most part actually:

1) Now we know that there are people who only welcome praises;
2) Now we know that some people do have a life---a life defined by the internet;
3) Now we know that some people get a kick out of jumping on someone who dare said something in opposition;
4) Now we know that some people can never get what an apology means.
5) Now we know that contradicting someone is an equivalent of wanting to initiate a word war; and lastly,
6) Now we know that it's possible for someone to "get off" through a pseudo word war on the net.

Pardon my ignorance about all this. I was being such an idiotic oaf that I really am (no wonder I didn't make it to the Cum Laude list in my university).

Oh yeah, some other allegations I want to dispell:

Many people said that I had "no right" to react to what was posted. The fact is, I do have the right. Everybody (at least in the free world) has the right to say what they want. It doesn't matter if their opinions are distasteful, hateful, or backed with stupidity. Nobody should be told to shut up because somebody else doesn't like what they're saying. Every human should have the right to their own opinion. (Or in my case, I had the right to pretend to hold whatever opinion I wanted...) Of course you already knew that. I just found it funny that these words had to come out from you and from your minions when I was the one who was hounded when I posted a comment. This is no skin off my back and you're free to do what you want. It's merely a point I disagree on.

I mean, take a look at this blog. There are so many entries here that "ragged" on so many bands and people. Many people have reacted to them-- some have even confronted me in person. But I never took their reactions against them. If I haven't written those things, they wouldn't have anything to react to in the first place. It seems to be a rather immature and selfish stance to be angry (oops, of course you weren't angry, you just have a bad temper) when someone attacks you, and then use a bigoted slur to try to insult them. Tapos sablay naman.

Well, as an answer to that, I have seven things to say:

1) I do not identify with any group (ie, preppie, indie, punk, goth, etc.). You and your friends' attacks on goth were the ones that came out as hilarious--to the point of becoming ridiculous already. I'm not denying that I have "goth" friends and that I've supported the goth subculture in manila. I have my preferences that are similar to other people's preferences but they weren't and will never be based on a group of people. (if this is to be used to disprove an opponent's claims, maybe I should have said something like: "at least, I'm not the one who looks like one of 'em cast rejects from the Brady Bunch" or something to that effect);

2) Within Temptation is definitely NOT my favorite band ;) No offense to the fans of the band. I'd have to say though that I'm not ignorant about WT since I had to listen to them for a time when an ex-"pseudo" band had to do a cover of one of their songs and I do listen to almost everything anyway (ah, however, you prefer your own scenario so any further explanation would be pointless); now finally, something that has a connection to the topic--

3) It's irrelevant to know which band I thought you "ragged" on. It could be us, it could be Weedisneys (which you later on admitted), it could be some band that defines "your bad taste in music," as you admirably had put it, and it could even be your own band. But as I said, it's irrelevant. We were caught guessing and didn't exactly assume on anything. You did. If my memory serves me well, I never mentioned any band that I thought you were referring to. I played safe, just the way you played safe. However, I can't help but find it funny too that you and your friends all concluded that I was trying to defend my own band. But then again, if I were, am I not allowed to do so?;

4) In relation to that, just in case some of your friends think that I have something against your band, I'd have to say that it's the opposite actually. In fact, I was even all praises for your band when a friend asked me about it. I even introduced one of your bandmates to him, referring to her as a part of the band that I was telling him about. Ironically, some of your friends still felt the need to imply that it just isn't so. Oh well;

5) "Shows more of your character than the band's"... this is the line that really got you. You told my bandmate yourself. Why were you so affected? It's something rhetorical and need not be explicitly said anyway (although I did he he). Everybody's writings show more of their own character rather than what is being written about-- no matter how hard we try to deny it. And, it did show more of your character, just the same way that everything I've written and am now writing show more about my character. This also applies to your friends who seemed so eager, possessing such admirable enthusiasm, to ride on their "word war";

6) At least you took it as a compliment, when I tagged you as "THE rock critic" --though taken a bit out of context and that's quite understandable :)You should feel flattered (and not just say that you are). Really; and lastly,

7) No sweetie, I sincerely think that I/we have nothing to apologize for --not even for the "wrong things."

(Just the same that you don't have to apologize for anything --not even to Weedisneys-- even if we know very well that they're bound to find out about all of this in their own way. As you said, you were merely expressing an opinion. And you're right. Alongside that, you always have your friends to run to and cheer you on-- this kinda reminds me of myself and my friends when we were still in first grade, but when we grew up, we finally knew better.)

So there.

Anyway...

The lesson here is that not everybody has a sense of irony.

There are a lot of lunatics on the internet out here, and they can say whatever they want without any ramifications. You should take everything you read, including stuff posted in chat rooms and e-groups, with a grain of salt.

Once again, you are free to hold your own opinions, but as long as you're unwilling to accept others, I fail to see how you will be able to attain respect for your own self.

So that's that. I hope this clears everything up. If all of this crap ends in this post, good for us all. If it doesn't, that's no longer my problem. I've said my two cents worth on this. And I've had enough crap to deal with. I'm not one person to let my bad temper cramp my style, you know ;)

Have a great life!

If you still feel offended by what is said on this blog, then e-mail me. Also, there's a tag-board to the right side of this blog, just in case you haven't noticed (I know it isn't all that great like having a guestbook or a comments page but that's all we can afford to have and we all --except for Ralph who's a genius as we already know-- are internet idiots who can't even tell HTML from URL as Ralph had once put it.)

There isn't really much of a need for you to "make us post your entry here." Right? ;)

In the meantime.... bend over as I pucker up.


Love and slack and everything in between,
Ayn Ruth Z. Tolentino

See you at the gigs!

No comments: