Thursday, July 17, 2003

YEHEY! I get to post a real entry for the first time in weeks! Sorry… as you all know (though you didn’t really need to), I have been in crises for the past weeks. Emotional and then financial. But now, I have my life in some semblance of control and I can afford internet service. Haha.

I am cheery today despite my aching, fatigued body because we had a really good acoustic set last night at Altered Native in Fairview. Allan was only able to notify us on the day itself so we were all caught off-guard. Ayn was particularly miffed because she had a report to do for school the next day. We had a bit of a tense moment (to put it VERY lightly) there before our gig, but Allan and Ayn were able to make up by the end of the night. And of course, that never stopped them from giving a great performance :D We were all great! Ralph was nervous about his acoustic leads but he pulled them off well… and I didn’t even notice anything weird from Roel, either. He made it just the right volume for the “acousticity” of it all. Hehe. This is the first time since I came back from Bukidnon that I felt good after a gig. I think I saw some people actually tapping their feet. They responded pretty well and we had some applause.

Popular Days had also performed before our set. I was pleasantly surprised to hear their cover of “Ahpraham” by the Sugar Gliders (I hope I spelled that right) because I had just been listening to that song that very morning. John Paul said that Allan wasn’t satisfied by their rendition yet, but they haven’t fixed it up yet anyway. As usual, for their originals, they gave a tight performance. And, as usual, the crowd didn’t really react to them much. Eric was moaning something about “shallowness”… I told him it was good that they were exposing these people to that kind of music. I’m sure that out of the hundred or so who were present, the Manyaks were able to touch at least ten. Baby steps. Everything counts.

After our set, Ayn and I sat with our friends Mia and Joey. They kindly bought some rounds for us. I was feeling brave… it felt really good to get that buzzed feeling again. I was giggling at the Parokya set and I think Gab even noticed from the stage how weird my perma-smile looked (or am I having illusions of grandeur? ;). I was so happy with the performance and being with my friends and feeling so carefree, even for just a few moments. Last night, Life was gooooooood. I even enjoyed it when Ayn’s former music teacher and another nameless customer went up on stage to play a few cheesy songs. We moved to Allan’s table where the restaurant had some food for us. We talked and laughed awhile. I think we picked on John Paul a bit too much, especially me hehehe. I was revealing some things about him to Mia in Spanish. Haha. At least I can still speak it. “Ello es en amor con la bajista de…” Shit. I think I said too much back there. Oh well. Nobody ever reads this anyway.

So we all went home after that. Ayn had to work on her report. She was saying that she wouldn’t be sleeping for it. Poor Ayn. Mia and Joey took me home. Thanks so much, guys! Thanks for bringing Ralph and I to the gig, Allan. Thanks, Roel, for… um… thanks, Roel. Heehee. Oh isn’t this a happy-joy-joy entry…?

Just a last note. I think that, although there were some who enjoyed our set because we performed well, a lot of indie peeps frowned on our Millenia gig last Sunday specifically because we played our version of “Today”. Haha. Di nila nagets. Hay naku. They’ll never learn. When have we at candyaudioline ever taken ourselves seriously? I mean… we DO take ourselves seriously with our music, but some of it is also fun and games. The reason we play is because we have fun doing it. If we were that serious, we’d have kicked everyone out of the band already for one sablay or another. I guess it all goes back to that icky line: We can’t please everyone. So we make do with the comments. It’s ok. We’re still alive. We love what we do.
I think we should play “Today” at Buzz Night just to start a riot hehehe. ;P

We’ll be the last performers for the night at Streetlife, Glorietta on the 19th! Be there. Popular Days and Moonstar 88 will be there, too.

I am back.

No comments: