Monday, March 10, 2003

This entry is a little late because I was too tired to write yesterday. The other day, March 8, 2003 we played at two events: the Immaculate Conception Foundation and Buzz Nite.

At the former, we were given three songs to play. I guess the sound system sucked because the kids in front were complaining that they couldn’t hear my voice. They kept screaming “louder”. So I tried to sing louder. But they still didn’t hear me. Allan said it was because the speakers were to the side and that only the people in front couldn’t hear. The rest of them could.

Now I was thinking… why didn’t they say all those things to Kyla or Cover Me Quick or that high school band? I didn’t think it was because I was singing too softly because my throat was straining to make it loud. Why does this always happen to me? Why can’t I assess the sound system properly and adjust? I’m always so clueless about it. I felt so bad afterwards because I heard them say we were a voiceless band—and after trying so hard. My band mates don’t think it’s too bad. They tell me I do fine, and that we really play like that (with less emphasis on the vocals). I understand that, of course… but I feel like what little I contribute to the band is undermined whenever I sing too loud or too softly, or even when people just perceive it that way through the sound system’s weirdness. Sigh.

Anyway, once we left the school I felt better. When we got to Mayric’s, though, there was nobody there. Only one band was there, plus Roel’s girlfriend and Charles and John Paul. Allan had already warned us that the usual crowd of Buzz Nite wasn’t going to show up because of the indie pop gig on the 14th, but I honestly wasn’t prepared for what we saw.

It wasn’t too bad, though. Candyaudioline got to play two sets ;). And it was kind of intimate hehehe. A sort-of-punk band called Sunset Drive and a sort-of-something band called Skrew Ups played. Crush ni Ayn yung isa dun sa latter band hehehe (shet, papatayin ako nun… ah basta eh di baguhin niya tong entry hehe). Then there were Soft Pillow Kisses and Superminty. We really appreciated the fact that those other bands came at such short notice. They’ll probably be at the next Buzz Nite (if any).

Which brings me to my next topic. We decided to go for a change and eat at Ongpin’s beside Mister Kebab. After eating sinigang, sizzling squid, sweet and sour pork, and papaitan, Allan brought up the subject of Buzz Nite and what happened. I found it weird for the other indie bands to snub Buzz Nite in favor of ShelfLife night. Why not play at both? The thing is, Buzz Nite was always the venue for this genre. What happened?

We were thinking that the other indie bands aren’t satisfied with the type of music played at Buzz Nite anymore. There are those who don’t like the other bands usually lined up and say it should be indie pop night. What gives? I know I’m the biggest, stupidest newbie around, but I always thought that Buzz Nite was for the whole indie genre. Anyway, where were those people last Saturday night? It seems like everyone wants to jump ship.

So the guys talked about it and they were thinking of revamping Buzz Nite and sticking to the original idea of it, which was to hold an event that will include “all genres under the indie spectrum”. They were still thinking of how to do it… whether to change the venue, the name, or just the concept. I think that’s a better idea. If we’re to have a special night for our genre, we have to take care of it. I don’t think that’s the case these days. So let’s change the system!

Okay… on the 18th we’re playing at the third benefit concert for the Kamia victims. This will be at the Bahay ng Alumni and rumor has it that Matilda will be playing again! Yehey! On the 15th, Roel says we’ll also be playing at the Feminine Force at Mayric’s. Did I get that right?

No comments: