Monday, January 31, 2005

sabog night

Since we've all been so revealing lately, let me recount my Saturday stupidity.

First of all, Allan was in Cavite for a Moonstar thing, so I was left to take charge. Also, several bands had to back out at the last minute due to unavoidable circumstances (a root canal recovery, scary symptoms like coughing up blood in your phlegm, etc.). There were a lot of new bands line up, too. So I was pretty nervous when I got to Mayric's.

I arrived there at 9:30 pm and... there was no one inside. I wasn't expecting an audience, but I was at least expecting some band members, and there was no one. I felt very frustrated (and emotional because a certain time of the month was coming up). By the time Jann Paul arrived (and he wasn't even supposed to because Allan told him to come at 12), I had decided to drink.

Yep. Those who have followed this blog since the very beginning know the very dire consequences of a decision like that.

Suffice it to say, I made a fool of myself on and off stage. Histrionics. Hopefully, others won't be so harsh.

Okay, this is what little I remember of the night. Band people only started coming in at 10:30, but it wasn't until 11 that there were enough completed bands to start the show (hence, my craziness that night). I asked Jann Paul and Erick if they'd agree to a Popdays acoustic set (wala si Ian so di sila pwede), pumayag naman sila. Grasspipe started off the night. Ekong was right, they're a more mellow version of Sunset Drive, but with a little more variety of other elements in them. I remember noting this in my phone while I was buzzed: "if dandy were emo, theyd be grasspipe." Next played... um... Beyond Broken Stars? Yeah. They sounded more regular to me. Next came... um... Poo Poo Vox. Now, I may have been squashed by then, but they sound like they've improved. I typed this in my phone: " if dandy were dandy, theyd be poopoo vox." Well, they sounded something like that, but in retrospect, I reconsider. Dandy has lower, more subdued vocals... but it was "kind of the effect" that Poopoo Vox was making on me.

Tether was next. I think I was out of it already. They played really well, though, despite the newness of their drummer. They were great! And I was splattered. Lara arrived with her dad and sister, and she was sort of delighted about my state. She asked me to greet her dad while onstage. Ack. We met someone in the CR whose name was Zheyd. I think.

Pillow played next. It was a disaster. Although I remembered most of the words, I was slightly off-key in some parts; Allan was too; JP's beats were slower; and Charles was... um, I forgot what Allan said about it, but basically, everyone was off in one way or another. But I was still the worst. I was moving weirdly, I almost fell in some parts of "Bathing in the Sun". Sorry, bandmates. Sorry, people. Will never do that again.

After us, Tuesday Sorrow played, but I was reeling.

My last real memory was talking to Manuel and Mavi about something. I think I rambled on and on. I broke my favorite sandals. And Allan took me home while I tried to explain in tears why I went weird that night. Afterward, he went to Mister Kebab to meet everyone else.

And that was it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, selena!

hope you're doing better. like i said, "one bottle too many". be thankful beyond and tuesday came with a handful. :) i missed playing that night. like dennis of tether said, "wala nang candy, wala pang sunsetdrive... nabuwag ang line-up ng buzznight". i'm thankful we have friends like them.

speaking of tether, it's only this time that i gave them a thorough listen. they're great! they're like toenut (ex-mute records artist) and elastica fused together.

and thanks also for letting grasspipe play. i hope i didn't go beyond your expectations. :) if it's okay, and if time allows, i could refer other bands for you. decent ones. :)

i have to agree with monty. but then again, the line-up depends on who's gonna drop by ifrst... unless you'd do what back to the edge does: make set scheds.

by the way, speaking of scheds, make a line-up earlier this time, so we could make a poster. :)

ekong