Saturday, October 18, 2003

Alma Mater Dear

By chance, nakausap ko si Allan about his Pisay Backbeat gig and he had something very interesting to say. Seven people actually approached him asking for candyaudioline cds. Woah. That’s a lot, for a school that has such a small population. And MY school at that! I was so amazed that they actually knew we existed, Pisay usually being an insular kind of place (but only because of its strict curfews). Ralph is from Pisay, too, although he hails from the Mindanao campus.

Allan had wondered how they got to listen to our stuff. Some of them told him that they knew someone from Valenzuela who had copies of our songs, but for some reason, he was having difficulty sharing them with others. They wanted their own copies. Allan told them he didn’t have any at the time, but that they could come to Buzz Night (Mayric’s on the 25th!), and maybe he could give them some there. They regretfully replied that the school never let them out that late at night (they must be dormers). Well, we’ll see if we can find a way to make the songs more available online, somehow.

I used to be a dormer, as well. Why don’t they just get a group together that can sleep over at an extern’s house Saturday night, so they can pass by Buzz Night. My friends and I use to do that all the time in high school. Weekends, the school can’t really exercise as much control because dormers are allowed to “go home”. At least, that was how I remembered it. I hope the school doesn’t have a chokehold on you guys there.

I just want to say that I’m proud that the students of Pisay these days are intelligent enough to listen to good music. When I heard about these students, I almost wanted to sing, “Thy light our beacon beeeeeee… In our path through the world, in our fight for the right, in pursuit of a glorious theeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee…” hehehe. Pero Tagalog na yata yung mga kinakanta niyo ngayon. Anyway, look through the old yearbooks in the library and you’ll know what I’m talking about hehhehe.

For the record, I’d just like to confess that I’ve always had a crush on Sir EJ Baranda, my Research teacher in high school. I actually had a plan of approaching him after graduation ceremony and presenting him with an apple and a bag of our Honorably Mentioned anti-alcohol craving Kudzu candy. I wanted to erase from his mind the memory of our cannibalistic lab mice (*shudder*) and let bygones be bygones. Of course, I never gathered the guts to do all this so I just beamed at him from under my cap and toga and said “Goodbye”. (Hi, Sir EJ! ;*)

No comments: