Friday, April 04, 2003

Hold on! Baka malipat daw ang gig naming sa Mayric’s to another date because Parokya ni Edgar might take that slot. Tsaka may bago na pala: “Magsuot ka ng mao-onnnggg…” :D

If you’re reading this post, it must mean that blogger has fixed itself and that the world will be happy again. I really hate the fact that I’ve written so much already and it can’t even be published. Of course, Allan is probably thinking right now that I’m such a lazy bum for not updating again when I finally have all the time in the world. Well, for everyone’s information, I’m writing this at 4 pm, April 4.

Last night, Joey from PULP magazine interviewed us at the Seventy-seven café on Hemady St. I could hardly keep my mind on the interview because it was soooo hot and I felt so stuffy sitting there even if it was sort of open-air. The bad part was that somebody had turned on the ceiling fan above us—and we still weren’t feeling any air! I checked to see if the setting was too low. It turned out that no matter how close I got to the blades, I felt nothing. Probably the blades were put on the wrong way. It was frustrating to feel sweat flowing in rivulets down my back knowing that an almost fully functional ceiling fan was running right on top of us. Imagine how Ayn felt in her long, black dress!

Joey ordered us some beer while we waited for Allan to arrive. At first, it was only Roel who was talking to him… the rest of us were just keeping quiet, doing our own things. I guess we were nervous. He must have thought we were a bunch of snobs. Then Allan came and everyone visibly relaxed. As I said before, we were anxious about what we were going to be saying at that interview, and somehow the presence of wise, OLD Allan was reassuring.

Hmmm… how did it go? Well, I can only recall certain moments off the top of my head. Of course he asked what our idea of “indie” was. Allan gave this brief history lesson, which I’m sure even we appreciated. So Allan set it straight, but what the interviewer wanted to know was whether we would sometimes shy away from using the word “indie” when telling people what we play. I admitted that I did at first, because I knew people thought it had the same connotation as “alternative”. But then I realized that it really is a term for a certain type of music and that we should use it because that’s what we are. I told him that I thought people who scoffed at “indie” are as bad as the people who glory in it.

Basically, we just told him that we were just a bunch of friends in a band playing a certain kind of music. He asked us how we would explain our music to a layman. We quoted a line from Allan’s mock profile: “It’s like listening to The Carpenters on the deck of an aircraft carrier while watching fighter planes land and take-off all at the same time.” Basta… yun lang naman yun… we hang out and perform!

Some memorable parts:

· He asked us who were our worst critics and what the worst criticism we got was. Ayn answered right away, “Sinabi nilang tunog-Sandwich kami.” All of us were, “Si Ayn yung nagsabi niyan ha!” Natakot nga si Allan kasi sabi niya pala-away yung ibang sagot ni Ayn. Pero ok lang yun… sabi nga niya when asked how we react to critics, “We don’t care what they think at all.” To he first question, Allan replied that Purists tended to disown us, and it hurts since we’re from the same scene, but it’s ok. Ganun daw talaga eh.
· He commented that he and his colleagues were often wary of interviewing indie bands because these bands usually have a certain untouchable attitude. He asked us if this was an effort we were making to talk to him and make him feel comfortable with us. No! We’re really this weird and jolly when we’re together and with some people. And the fact that we’re a hodgepodge of people with different interests in music means that we really have to be open-minded. Shy lang talaga kami kaya hindi kami masyadong nakikihalubilo sa ibang banda. If you don’t approach us, we don’t approach you. Sabi ni Allan ayaw lang daw niya sa mga nagbabandwagon—nakakainsulto daw kasi sa mga taong sampung taon na nila ginagawa ang “indie”.
· Asked what mainstream favorites we have individually: I said Sarah Mclachlan, Radiohead, Third eye Blind; Ayn said Matilda, PM Dawn; Ralph said dati Slapshock tsaka Parokya; Allan said Moonstar and Hammilan; Roel said something I didn’t really know hehehe.

Basta… di naman kami maarte. Masaya lang kaming kumain at tumugtog! Sa Tuesday na pala yung pictorial for the write-up.

So we went to Millenia for our 1 hour set. Ok pala yung lugar… parang inca burial chamber hehehe. Naingayan sila samin sobra, pero ok lang… ganun talaga kami eh. After, nagtrip kaming mag picture-taking around the venue kasi ang weird ng architecture. Nakakatawa yung mga pose namin!

Hinatid muna naming si Charms pauwi and then we went to that Pares Place near Ralph’s for a cheap food trip. Ok nga dun eh. Ang linis tsaka masarap. I think we’ll be going there more often. We’ll probably move the movie marathon to Saturday or Sunday.

Hope this entry gets published! Oh yeah… if this entry reads weirdly, it’s because my space bar is busted and I’m typing this on Word (all “namin”s automatically become “naming” and I might have missed some.

No comments: