Sunday, September 14, 2003

Gypsy, Malate Gig

I accompanied Ayn yesterday to her graduation pictorial and waited 5 hours before she finished. You can only write about so much in your journal in 5 hours, even when there are half-naked women running to and fro in the halls. At least, we got the recipe for Deviled Hotdogs from the lobby café.

I decided to crash at Ayn’s place afterwards so we could go to Mayric’s together to meet Allan and Ralph. She let me watch her DVD of “24-Hour Party People” while waiting. It was fantastic! It was one of the coolest and most honest films I’ve watched in my life. I just love English humor.

After kissing Tristania goodbye and thoroughly annoying her in the process, we proceeded to Mayric’s. We got there almost an hour before Allan arrived. It was a good thing Oscar let us in to wait. I read Roel’s article in PULP (enjoyed it) and drooled over the Radiohead article. *Sigh*. Jepoy and his bandmate passed by and kept us company while Ayn finished her beer. Finally, Allan and Ralph arrived, so we headed on to Gypsy, Malate to front for Kamikazee.

We only had to wait around 20 minutes before we had to perform. We were a bit nervous because we hadn’t seriously practiced or performed in a long time. I was comforted by the fact that the mic sounded loud, so I didn’t have to strain myself to be heard. We were into the first verse of “Better View” when, to my horror, I realized that I hadn’t taken off my retainers! Ack! I spluttered my way through the song. Some people from the front decided to move downstairs. Haha. When we finished, I went through the sponsors, introduced the next song, then turned around and stuffed my retainers into my left pocket. Ew. Ralph was, “What the hell--??” and laughed. I think nobody saw me do it, heehee. So we launched into “Nothing Much to Lose”, which everyone loved. Then, my second booboo of the night: I interchanged the lyrics of the second and third verses. Thankfully, Allan wasn’t singing along anymore, so I just concentrated on making a clean exchange of the lyrics so that no one would notice. Whew.

The last two songs were different, though. Allan asked Lara to video them, and that was fortunate because we… ahem… totally rocked. Hehehe. The fun part about it was that the stage was open air, so a lot of other restaurants could hear us play. I’m sure we sounded intriguing. A lot of friends told us afterwards that it was a good set. Of course, Allan talked to me later on and said that we should practice together because we vocalists were starting to sound out of sync (and that popped my balloon). Sigh.

So Ayn and I went downstairs to finish our complementary beers. Roel was talking to us… I felt a little overwhelmed by Red Horse so I jokingly said to him, “Wala bang maitutulak?”

“Pulutan? Bili ka!”

“Nge, wala akong pera…”

“Ako magbabayad,” and he promptly called the waiter, made him take our order, and gave me the money to pay for it. That was pretty generous of him. He made this excuse about having a judging racket somewhere that paid him a thousand pesos. It was still very nice of him :)

And then our sisig arrived and Jay, who was sitting with Concrete Sam at the next table, shouted, “Ayan na ang mga sisig ghirrrlsssssssssss!”, which was followed by howls of laughter. Ayn and I were embarrassed at the attention, but Jay is so funny and unpredictable that we couldn’t help laughing ourselves. Ayn just offered them some of our sisig.

I went outside to talk to Allan. I was a bit tipsy so I told Allan that his whole shirt was wet with sweat except for his nipple area. Then I sat down next to him and watched the people pass by. Ayn came out after a few minutes and scolded me for leaving her. Apparently, some chick in whit sat down at my seat and told her, “You’re so prettyyyyyy…” and she was freaked out. So we decided to leave with Ralph. Allan was a bit disappointed that we were leaving already, especially since the Manyak boys had just arrived, but I was tired and Ralph was, too, and Ayn had to meet a kumare of ours at Xaymaca.

At Xaymaca, Ayn wanted to stay with her friend and she graciously offered for Mike to drive me and Ralph home.

Thank god that something’s happening to candy again…

Tonight is In BeTWEEn Days at Millennia Bar. Be sure to be early because candyaudioline is playing early. Working and studying members, you know…

No comments: