Tuesday, February 25, 2003

Last night, we went to Precious Baldo’s wake at the UP Chapel. She was the only casualty of the Kamia Residence Hall Mishap last February 18, 2003. It’s been a week today. Still no justice.

I was with Ayn and Roel and we were just in time to join the procession back to Kamia, where relatives of Precious were going to fetch her things and bring her body back to Benguet. Her friends and dorm mates sang songs while we walked. It was the first time Ayn and I saw the place since it happened. The metal barriers were really wrecked and there was broken glass around. Candle drippings lined the pile of debris, probably from the night Precious died. One of her relatives asked to be shown the exact spot where she lay. He stood over it and said some words in their language. Ayn told me he was telling Precious to go home, that her schooling was over now. I think the part where I most faltered was seeing Precious’ younger relative, a brother perhaps, carrying some of her things, among them a guitar. How hard is that—to be bringing your sister’s things home knowing she’ll never be able to use them again… things that she probably used a little more than a week ago?

The van carrying her coffin needed a guide out of UP so we volunteered. Along University Ave, we said goodbye and went on our way. They went on theirs soon after, too. They still had a long journey ahead of them.

We, on the other hand, went to Starbucks Katipunan. Tried to shake the solemnity off with some mocha frapps… that is, Roel and Ayn did. We started smiling again when Ayn was trying to rifle through her messy bag for the hundred pesos her dad supposedly gave her—Roel wanted to have a mocha frapp, too. Then she says maybe her dad didn’t give it to her after all. Haha! Roel had to buy it himself.

That was the first time we had a bonding session without Allan. Damn, I wish I could remember all the stuff we talked about but I think all this lack of sleep is starting to mess with my brain. That was around 1 am. We had to bring Roel back to Mayric’s because he had spent his fare on the mocha frapp and besides, he said, Allan was there and we could hang out (and maybe get some food out of him hehe). There was a Parokya ni Edgar gig there and he was overseeing things.

On the way there, I told them I had started this blog. Of course, Ayn had a few things she wanted put so I’ll say them now: On the 27th we’ll be having a benefit at Mayric’s for Meh Antonio, one of the victims of the Kamia Mishap. We also had a pictorial for the PULP Summer Slam last Saturday (I forgot to put that). Watch out for the new Kamikazee video, where Roel plays the evil villain. The evillain hehee. I think that’s all.

We arrived and Allan offered to buy us a beer each. We also had chicharon bulaklak, which I miss since I haven’t been having isaw at UP lately. Sigh. We were pleasantly buzzed. Pinagchismisan namin ni Ayn yung mga nandun sa Mayric’s hehehe (you know who I’m talking about, Ayn). We had to wait until about 3 for Allan to be finished with managerial duties. Allan says what I’m about to write is no longer candyaudioline business but Superminty business, but what the hey. He and John Paul and Charles (the latter two from Popular Days) flipped a coin to decide if they were going to do… ahem… “Superminty business” or not. Suffice it to say, they flipped heads.

Anyway… I guess that’s all I can say about that. Allan will kill me if I say anything more ;) Besides, John Paul is witness that there is a God.

Today, we plan to visit Meh and maybe push through with our candy movie marathon at Ayn’s.

No comments: