Friday, April 21, 2006

* mermaid tales *

I am not a fan of the summer’s sun. My bare shoulders and limp hair wage war against its rays. But that day, and the hours that followed, caught me unsuspectingly. I was there at the beach to wile away the burning days and melting nights. Something was aimed to alter all potentials as soon as I got there.

I just got back from Nausgbu with some friends. I haven’t even put down my bags when the sea beckoned me to kick off my slippers and sink my feet in to the sugary sands. I never saw the sea as an enchantress. Unknowingly, I succumbed to her charms as the grains flowed and rose in between my toes.

And so my brief affair with a new goddess had begun…

As soon as we had settled and unpacked, my friends and I headed straight out to find the perfect spot at the beach. For four girls who were predominantly single and who were not out there to attract unwanted attention, the “perfect spot” meant a safe place where we could peel off our sweaty summer clothes revealing the skimpy bikinis underneath. Good thing the different resorts had few guests the day we arrived. So from five until dinnertime, I was free to enjoy the beach in its entirety – the smooth, warm sand…lush mountains framing the cottages…the sun slowly breathing its last embers…cool, silvery waves caressing my thighs…and the surreal view of the Taal at the end of the horizon…

I wanted to immerse every inch and cell of my urban body. I was overwhelmed. Nirvana briefly visited my bliss when I saw a small aqua blue bird fly and perch on a tree. The image of this memory still engulfs me.

We missed the sunset and I was almost crushed until we reached the far end of the shore. The sea did not fail to impress again…

This time, the rocky end of the beach revealed its own beauty. The tide was so low the shore seemed to extend towards half of the sea. The exposed rocks were like giant and baby turtles moon bathing in silence. Excited, I walked fast to embrace what seemed to be an illusion.

...to be continued

No comments: