Monday, January 19, 2004

Pussyfooting

Allan scheduled a practice for us last night at Alberto's along with Soft Pillow Kisses. His aim was to practice Erap of The Youth as a sub drummer and Charles as sub lead guitar for candyaudioline. Unfortunately, Erap couldn't make it at the last minute, and Lara couldn't come either so SPK had the same problem. We were all kind of lazy when we got to the studio and almost decided to nix practice altogether; we were planning to have a dvd fix at Charles's house instead. But of course, me being the goody-two-shoes, I suggested we practice even for a short while because John Paul, having class the next day, was planning not to come along for the movie marathon and I was sorry to see his efforts at attending practice go to waste. Then Mang Jun came out and he was all solicitous and friendly about having the studio ready for us… so we kind of didn't have a choice anymore, did we?

It was fun, though. We practiced as candyaudioline with John Paul as drummer and Charles as lead for three songs: My Silver Chair, An Empty You and Flaming Walls. It took a few tries, but Charles has almost got the guitars for those songs down pat, which was pretty impressive for one practice. Ditto for John Paul. Afterwards, they practiced as SPK (Luie was there, too) sans Lara. Allan was (half) joking that they sounded clearer without the bass, but John Paul said they sounded corny.

We sat around for a while outside before heading to Pares. I tentatively approached Allan about alternatives to releasing the songs we had mixed so far as intended (secret na lang kung ano yung mga proposal na yun). As I've said, I'm not too comfortable with my vocal performance. He told me I was being praning and he tried to assure me that, so far, the way those songs were mixed still fit into his grand design for the album. Throughout the night (because I was being so apprehensive), he kept reassuring me that one of the reasons I could detect these faults was because I had been so used to singing in a certain way and anything different kills my ears (you'll hear what we've done with some songs when the album comes out); also, I can detect them because I'm the one who's singing and I know better. He told me everything was cool so far. Okay. I guess I just need to grow into those songs a little more. Maybe 50 more listens will do the trick hehe. Seriously, I'm still apprehensive, but I also understand that I have to trust Allan's opinion because he knows what we're doing, and that comforts me kahit papaano.

ANYWAY… we had fun eating at Pares because Charles and Allan were goofing off again; add Ayn's comments to that mix and you really have a laugh fest. For some reason, our conversation turned to the subject of penises, specifically, peeing habits of guys (and girls, too, I guess… I mean, they were comparing and contrasting!). It was so vulgar but unbelievably hilarious--- thank heavens the people at that Pares place are so used to us that they didn't kick us out. Apple (former SPK vocalist, before Eloha, I think) arrived later that night with her boylet (sorry, names don't stick with me at first introduction!); she wanted to go someplace and drink. Ayn's parents picked her up first because she needed to go home already, and they brought Tristania with them. She was so cute, pointing at the lights of Pier One in Tomas Morato and saying , "Light!"

So we drank (they had to force me first… I was worried about my voice) and caught up. It was fun to see Apple again and I'm glad she's… ahem… found relative happiness (I say "relative" because it's just starting out). I hope it evolves into something really good for her.

We all went home at around 4 am.

Four more songs to record and then we're all mixing. We've spent a fortune already, but what the hey. Next Pink Noise session will probably be on Wednesday morning.

No comments: