Monday, October 31, 2005

And it happened I was right.

I arrived early at Buzz Night because Allan told Pillow and Candy we were going to practice before the production. Unfortunately, Allan became very sick that day. By the appointed 8:30pm, we were all there except for him and it even looked as if he wasn’t going to be able to show. Oh no!

Also, the bands were not there early. Los Chupacabras were (thank you!), but they wanted to go third (and I had told them they could choose a slot if they were early), so there was still the problem of the first two. The other bands were nowhere to be found yet. Uh-oh.

Ok, so far, I’ve been ending my paragraphs with ominous exclamations. Things did turn around, however, when Allan walked into the door, looking like a large mass of pain. He fell into a chair and asked what the status of the lineup was. Then he said Candyaudioline was up.

The show started at about 9:45pm. Good. But there were very few people, so I was getting worried. Plus, Allan looked like he was he was going to slump over any minute. And we had a new bassist in Arjay (from Poopoo Vox), who was feeling anxious if he had remembered the basslines or not. Eep. But we did surprisingly well… our set was good, we really enjoyed (I was making a fool of myself dancing on the stage, which isn’t a pretty sight and was probably due to my abnormally accelerated metabolism), and the people really enjoyed, too. Good. :) But we sort of flubbed “Felt So Fine” because they decided to brave a new version… Allan said it was pretty much sung the same way, and it was, except that he forgot to tell me that there was no second intro, so I kind of lost the lines somewhere. Woohoo!

Next was supposed to be Bagetsafonik because Doy had to get back to 77 Hemady CafĂ© early, but they were having problems with traffic, so I became worried again. Fortunately, my friend Carl said he and his bandmates were getting too drunk and that they could go next. Whew! I can only describe Los Chupacabras as a Parokya ni Edgar with punk and indie sensibilities, though I’m sure that doesn’t do them justice. They’re very irreverent, but fun to watch. I still can’t believe their song “Satan Rules” got them in trouble at Conspiracy Bar, when someone asked them to cut their set because they were eeeeevil. It sounded pretty harmless to me.

Bagets was still caught in traffic and Arjay (who was sessioning for Pillow) had to go home already, so Soft Pillow Kisses took the stage. They were quite rusty, which made me and Charles laugh. Allan by this time was obviously hallucinating onstage, so their set became pretty surreal. But hey, they’re Soft Pillow Kisses, man. You can forgive them for anything!

Finally, Bagetsafonik was up. Aww, I’m such a fan girl. What can I say? I loved their set! It was great to have them back for Buzz Night. The crowd really liked them. Popular Days followed, and people swooned even more. They were really in top form that night, and Charles sang the most perfect and sincere “Watch Out For Me”! I even overheard Ace of Bagets say, Pare, I liked you guys before, but now, I’m just…. Haha! I quote freely, but I just had to say to that, “And I thought I was a fan girl!”

(It was sometime around this point that Allan had to leave because he was feeling terribly ill.)

Next up was Easy Mersey for a Buzz Night comeback. This three-piece did really great sixties-type stuff (sorry, I think the term is “mersey,” but I’m not sure teehee). They’re a lot tighter now and I’m looking forward to them playing again. They were followed by Kings and Pawns, who gave an amazing set as well. Man, keep this up and I’ll be twice the fan girl I already am! Ano na sa complete package? They have it all! We were on a time crunch, but I just had to let them play some extra songs, even if Mayric’s was breathing down my neck for it. Besides, people loved them.

Last band for the night was---- yay!!!--- Tether! They’re back with a new lineup and are as mean as ever! Their new vocalist is skilled, though a little Ashlee Simpson-ish… oh well, that can be fixed. For a first performance, they were really good! Nowhere but up, my friends.

Ok, this isn’t exactly an unbiased account of Buzz Night, but I can’t help but give such a glowing review of it. It was unbelievably fun. Of course, by the end of the night (an early 2:00am! Wow!), I was exhausted and having a bad-hair-everything. It was worth it. I knew something exciting was going to happen at Buzz Night.

Please stand by for photos... probably they'll be up by the end of the week.

+++

Announcement:

I don’t know why, but Buzz is going to be early this month. It’s in two weeks, on November 12. So Buzz Night bands, if you’re reading this and you’d like to be part of it, please text Allan ASAP and let him know so we can settle the lineup early :) Thanks!

No comments: